AFYM Artist Profile: Hannah Bronte









Hannah Bronte, collaborating with Athena Thebus for AFYM, is not someone you easily forget. If you ask her friends how she is synonymously known, they'd probably say something to the affect of:

A ray of golden sunshine
Sassy to the hilt
A diamond-pearl-and-gold encrusted gem

One thing I love doing is trawling her instagram profile - its always full of sexy, soulful ladies with tushies to boot and a look that says "I'm damn beautiful and I just don't care"and it seems this bold attitude transcends into her works as well. As an artist her works also express the same level of playfulness, uniqueness and honesty about them that it's almost like you're having intimate and hilarious chats with Hannah herself.
Well, we were lucky enough to do just that. So meet Hannah in print - and then come to the exhibition and meet her in person!
1. Tell us a bit about what you do (outside of your art)?

I am nearing the end of my fine art degree at QCA and have changed my practice a lot along the way. I started as more of a body painter and photographer and have moved into textiles and video.

2. How would you describe your work?

Super Femme and growing.

3. How did you get started?

I’ve always wanted to make art I first started very little probably drawing on walls at home or the footpath.

4. What motivates you to create?

Lots of things. Mostly women around me. Some boys too but mostly amazing style,stories and mannerisms around me.

5. Who inspires you at the moment?

Probably, grace jones, erykah badu and Freda kahlo.

6. What do you find is the most exciting and rewarding aspect in your working process?

The excitement when things start actually coming together and watching people’s re-actions to your work.

7. What’s next in terms of using different media/challenging yourself?

Film. Making Hip-Hop Videos with no men and instead boss bitches.

8. Who would you most like to collaborate with (living or dead) and why?

Louise Bourgeois, who is sadly not around. Because she would challenge me and is a strong, innovative female artist.

9. What do you see yourself doing in 5 years?

Smoking cigars, drinking mojitos on an island in bikinis and a kaftan, while shooting a music video.

10. Favourite place/thing to do in Brisbane on a day off…

Ride my bike down to Ugees, West End and have a coffee, then off to Musgrave Pool to lay in the sun and read my book.

11. What was the most useful or weirdest advice your mother gave you?

A man is not a financial plan. It’s nice to be shouted drinks and dinner every now and again but its much better to earn your own moolah and be a boss on your own.

12. Do you have a website?

Nah not technical enough for that business yet probably will get one eventually when I’m a BO$$ artist/movie director/ diva.